22456
Strength, Power, Reactivity, & Speed Discussion / Re: input on my ankle stiffness experiment
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:08:46 pm »Hi Adarqui
Here is an admittedly strange thought that occurred to me as I read here and elsewhere recently of the sudden rise in calf training for ankle stiffness amongst knowledgable people such as yourself. Isn't ankle stiffness and calf strength something that training in, dare I say it, Jumpsoles, is supposed to improve. And if so, does this therefore follow that Jumpsoles may actually have some benefit to a jumping athlete after all (besides increasing the users ability to tolerate ridicule and possibly shin splints)?
I have reviewed Jumpsoles for my site and tried a variety of different things in them to see if they had any value and just about the best use I could come up with was wearing them around the house a lot with the proprioceptive plugs. This did improve my ankle stability and strength a lot and as you are hoping to also replicate, improved my vertical particularly off a run. This was the basis for my article on passive training that amazingly sparked a lengthy discussion on TVS.
I like that you are trying different things to address different areas, god knows I have given all sorts of things a go over the years. It is good stuff and on occasion does produce some surprising results (and them sometimes as you know it also produces some stupid injuries). I hope it works out for you.
I would also like to hear some peoples thoughts about whether or not the folks at Jumpsoles may have actually been onto something but perhaps didn't know how to apply their use correctly.
Cheers
Jack
well, i do think they can be useful..
it's just most people do completely dumb shit in them, like running jumps.. that is just asking for injury.
to be honest, the walking lunges/squat hops/ankle hops in jump soles could probably be very effective.. i mean i see a similar effect just wearing track shoes to do plyos/lunges etc.. keeps you on your toes more and gives you alot more spring.
im posting a video in a bit to show you some ankle-stiffness problems I see with myself doing a single leg rebounding box jump... though it would look better in track shoes.. I will record it next time in track shoes to show the difference between bball shoes / track shoes on the same drill.
how much did it improve your vert? the passive training..
you should take before & after vid on a few drills that really involve the ankles.. so thay you can demonstrate the effectiveness it has on ankle stiffness.
peace man... good job with your site too, really like it.

