21631
Crazy Weird Analysis & Stuff :) / Re: The Squat Thread
« on: March 20, 2010, 01:39:09 pm »wow, i hope we can all have that problem with the glutesThat is a very interesting topic , great work again Andrew!
Ive been in this dilemma many times...
I feel much better and stable on the half squat , and i can add weights linearly there.
In deep squats i seem to struggle in the hole , and i cant add weight linearly, it takes about 3 sessions with the same weight until i feel i can really add.
But everyone insisted deep is better so i kept trying to improve deep.
Many times i ended up doing naturally what you mentioned above... going very deep in warmups and gradually decreasing depth as the bar got heavier.
Ya that's why eventually I started half-squatting after seeing eddie's gains, but making sure I hit the walking lunges/stepups very hard. I had to stop doing stepups because my glutes were getting too big, it would aggravate an issue I have in my sacral spine.
how do you feel about low vs. high step ups, like which do you like to use, and when, and why. i feel like the higher the box the more likely it will become more hip flexor/quad movement
Well here are the variations i've used:
- low stepups: ~12" box
- normal stepups: ~18" box
- high stepups: ~24" box
Keep in mind, a high stepup for someone who is < 6' might be around 22" though, we're looking at a <90 degree angle.
I implement normal stepups for the most part. In novices, I only implement normal stepups, but for intermediate/advanced, we take advantage of high & low.
In the preparatory phase, you'd use high & normal. As you transition to a peaking phase, you'd use normal & low. Low stepups of course allow for more weight, which can get pretty high for SL jumpers, so you have to be prepared & progress properly.
High stepups are hardly quad/hip flexor dominant though, if form is strict. A high stepup has similar joint angles between the hip & knee as that of a dip squat. The key is to push through the heel, actively pulling back the femur. If you let your femur shift forward, you will be attempting to overuse the quads in the movement.
As far as set/rep ranges, when trying to gain mass in the glutes/hams/quads, I prefer to do stepups using the same leg in a row, not alternating, for about 8 reps each leg. When trying to put on strength, we're looking at same leg OR alternating, using 3-5 reps each leg. When trying to produce alot of power without too much fatigue, I use only alternating stepups, of 1-3 reps each leg, singles would be done for a bunch of sets, max accelerationg of the heavy weight.
peace



















