sheeeeeeeit.. good session though.. SVJ/RVJ was both very good..
Ya , it's 'level up' , i'm there finally , 10' I could have landed some nice dunks on 9'10'' but suddently didnt care. When i reach the level of barely dunking a higher rim, i lose interest in improving/doing tricks on lower rims. Happened from 9'8'' to 9'10'' Now again from 9'10'' to 10'
ya i feel you on that.. time to land 10' dunks.
Quote
Forgot to mention : At the end of the session , i tried a dunk on the 9'8'' rim. Just 1 attempt , got a huge dropstep 2 hander , really hard , both wrists above rim. Crazy stim/psycho effect , after ~20 max jumps on 10' , 9'8'' looked like 9'3'' or sth...
nice man.. there's some like 10'6 rim around here, i went to it one night when it was raining at the court i wanted to go.. so i found this other park and i airballed a layup and realized this hoop was enormous.. then it started raining there.. so i went to another court.. that 10' hoop felt so small, in my mind, it was the weirdest feeling..
this is what i intended to post before i worked out tonight at 3am:
Quote
pouring rain all day.. couldn't do crap hehe!
i might go do some stuff though in a second actually so i dno, so much smoke in the air from july 4th i don't want to inhale that crap.. it literally is EVERYWHERE.. it's funny how some fireworks here and there can totally ruin every ounce of air in the sky, pretty scary, beware of chem warfare.
sky cleared up by 3am.. so i went to workout..
bw in morning = 157
soreness; none aches: none injuries: felt good today
GREAT WORKOUT! - wanted to goto another court, but some shady ass cars were inside the locked park, with the lights on wtf? - so had to jog extra to get to the other court.. ~2 mile run to other court - LR AND RL jumps from 1-2 steps, highest = possibly 31, overall jumps were explosive, hit a bunch of 30's from LR and a few 10'4's from RL - double leg tuck jumps: 10 sets of 10 <--- good shit - stiff leg ankle hops: tried 3x5, but i couldnt land stiff and jump, NOT A GOOD SIGN... so i did some prep work - strict mini stiff leg ankle hops: 3 x 20 <-- killed my calfs bad, especially left - run home: ~1.5 miles <-- lol legs dead
i planned on doing lunges etc tonight but realized i need to alternate rebounding sessions with my bodyweight sessions.. i don't have enough rebounding focus.. here i am about to add weight to my bodyweight shit and ruin my experiment.. so instead of that im going to focus on the rebounds now too.
the SLAH's were bad.. when my RVJ was peaked, I could SLAH off a mini hop about ~24+ inches no joke.. i was barely getting 12-14 inches off the 5 reps of SLAH's.. so that's another exercise I need to maintain efficiency in.. i just had no ability to lock my legs and stiff leg bounce.. not good!
when i'm jumping powerfully, when i wake up in the morning (afternoon), i vigorously extend my knees, it's not something i can even really control, it's just a very powerful contraction of the quads.. i wonder if that happens to anyone here?
peace
I've told you how that happens to me..
ya i remember.. wonder how many other people that happens to!
dunno why though, my strength levels are at the best ever, and personally i think i look meaner than ever. was always kinda lean fortunately, and now it looks like i got abit more muscle going on all over, but im still not getting any higher haha... damn!
ya, well we've got more jumping this week so let's see how that goes! lifts are going to be more intense too.. this week should be good man just focus and go get that shit!
In my opinion, and it seems that I'm alone in this - if you're a one-leg jumper you can get away without having too much posterior chain strength if you have great quad strength. If you are able to transform the horizontal movement into a vertical movement, and that's done with the help of the quads, then you can use a long run-up in which you build up speed (and therefore you have initial force) and then just switch it vertically.
If you run fast towards the plant point and are able not to collapse at the knee, I don't think you need that much posterior chain strength to jump very high.
calfs are part of posterior chain.. i'm with you on the 'hamstring aspect', i mean even single leg jumps I would put more emphasis on quad/calf/glute, in that order, but there definitely is more hamstring recruitment in SLRVJ versus DLRVJ..
but i'm with you for the most part, quads remain highly underrated
More rest days than I wanted but I've been really busy with camp.
7-3-10
Jumping was really good. Was getting whole hand over 9'8 rim, from one step I could grab easily and get both hands .5" over. Was getting 2-3" over with both hands easily on rvj.
Hip mobility with barbell
squat: 135x5 185x3 225x1 235x8 (could have easily gotten 10) 235x8 235x10 - all pr's, huge
lunge: 163x8e 168x8e 168x9e - pr
core circuit x2
lol.. congrats!
you sound to be in a very good spot right now with pr's + jumping, keep it up.
10' Dunk attempts: 3x5 : 0/15 Couldn't palm the damn ball , kept slipping away. I was getting up good , grabbing rim on every miss , but the ball kept slipping Wanst getting high enough for 2-handers , i need ~10'' above for them , most jumps were in the 33'' area so only ~8'' above. Got one very nice off the backboard attempt , must have been 33'' to 34'' at the peak, felt all my hand well above rim , caught the ball at the peak, drived it home going down, but was more like a lay in than dunk. Better luck next time
sheeeeeeeit.. good session though.. SVJ/RVJ was both very good..
week 7: - sunday: rest - monday: power lower + maintenance upper - tuesday: rest - wednesday: sprint activation - thursday: workout #1: jump session, workout #2: power lower - friday: rest - saturday: games (use one of the warmups to hit some nice jumps, but you'll be jumping alot so..)
- REA SQUAT: 3x3 : 80kg - SQUAT: 2 x 6 singles (done explosively, ~15-30s rest between reps) : ~125-130kg
- BENCH PRESS: work up to 1x5 - SEATED ROW: 3x5
- S1: Pullups: 2xAF - S1: Pushups or dips: 2xAF - S1: back extensions: 2x
- CORE - LIGHT STRETCH
Week 7: Day 2: Wednesday - AD-warmup - Light sprint warmup - 10 yard sprints: 5 - 20 yard sprints: 4 - broad jumps: 3x5 - light jumps: MAX EFFORT FROM ONLY ONE STEP, 3-4 sets of 2 jumps - LIGHT STRETCH
Week 7: Day 3: Thursday: Workout #1 - Small Caffeine Drink: 30 minutes prior, starbucks coffee drink or something, prebottled. - BASKETBALL WARMUP - SVJ's: 3x3 - RVJ's: As many as you want, but not too much passed dropoff since there's a workout #2 - LIGHT STRETCH
I also like combining ISO holds 25-40s in one workout with paused reps in a follow up work out. Works great for assistance work
For example (using a template similar to yours),
Day 1
Work up to a heavy set of 5reps on squats
ISO GH holds at about 45 deg for 25-40 secs - once you get to 40 secs add weight
ISO BSS see above
Day 2
Work up to a heavy set of 5 reps on squats or for variation you could do DLs on this day
Paused rep GHs 3 sec paused at bottom
Paused rep BSS 3 sec pause at bottom
This has worked well for me in the past.
Peace!
Nice post man. I've done something similar to that as well, love those long heavy isometric holds, that's a nice setup for sure. I've only done them with:
heavy isometric hold bench or weighted pushup
heavy isometric hold pullup (at the top)
heavy isometric hold lunge
Heavy isometric hold front/back squat is nice but it definitely hits the lower back too hard IMO.
I guess we can throw core in there too, since pillars are isometrics:
heavy isometric hold pillar (front/side)
I like when people shit on isometric yet perform pillars I definitely don't like isometric-only programs though, definitely has to be some isotonic work in there.
on the post below a guy said in 2 weeks he achieved it using a med ball GTG style.
other ideas included ab wheels
do you agree?
sup man
I can't find the "med ball GTG style" in that thread.. I see stuff about a physioball etc..
I'd imagine ab wheel would be hard to keep form, but if you could, it might be effective, never tried that.. I wouldn't be able to do ab wheel variation because I have a "poor man's GHR" so it would fall off the end.
The most effective way to get to doing a natural GHR seems to be just trying HARD AS FUCK.. what I mean by that is.. using proper form, lowering to a point where your hamstrings are cramping so bad yet you're still trying so hard to maintain position.. same goes with the concentric phase. For some reason, I most of the time bitch out or stop a bit short of that cramping range of motion, but when I do force myself through it I definitely get stronger on the GHR.
Taje is an example of someone who took that approach. He spent some times using bands to help train the movement, but the majority of his improvement came when every rep he cramped up so bad and pushed through it. The determination on his face was psychotic.
Here are some banded variations I liked, everyone else found them useful but they would tear my hamstring tendons up, so be careful if you try them. I would definitely stop short of COMPLETE extension of the knees at the bottom if you use any banded/assisted method, seriously, that aided full extension can be very hard on the tendons.
Taje literally became obsessed with natural GHR.. everyone else hated it, he loved it, and he couldn't even do an eccentric first time he got on it.. I've never been able to progress anyone like he did because he simply was obsessed with it, while most people end up fearing that movement.
So far, with myself, like i said, most improvement comes when I get into that cramping state and focus 100% to try and concentric back up, very hard though for sure.
Quote
and with your 15 min GHR sessions where on the iso do you hold it? half way down ? with the mini reps do you do like a 100 or so with a push off the deck?
I hold the iso at a very small angle, not even really close to halfway, since if i got to half way i'd only have a few seconds there.. I probably get about 1 minute on that ROM.
For the mini reps I just oscillate back and forth unassisted, so ya i'll hit about 50 of those then i'll stretch my legs out while being in the pmghr to reset for some bigger rep attempts.
I do my natural GHR as strict as possible, if I let my back arch (or upper back round) + abs loose, I can definitely get alot deeper than if I keep my glutes squeezed + abs tight + back neutral.. I just feel glutes and abs squeezed would definitely transfer more to sprinting than leaving them lax, which forces more forces more of the work to the hamstring BUT also gives you more leverage. I remember seeing someone doing them completely folded in half, shit was hilarious.