19381
Progress Journals & Experimental Routines / Re: ADARQ's journal
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:22:39 pm »
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh FLYING, can't wait to check tape..
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
have you ever squatted in oly shoes? they make a world of difference.. expect to be getting ATG extremely easy in them.
pc
ordered oly shoes monday, can't wait for them to get here!
How come? I mean, what was so "wrong" when I did my high bar squats?
Hi Everyone,
Lurked on here for a while, decided to make an account on here, seems like a knowledgeable, enthusiastic forum..
Little about me, I come from a track and field background.. Still compete as a high jumper at the university level with a pb of 2.11m, at the moment I am doing my Bsc in Kinesiology. I have always been really interested in the Biomechanics, Physiology and Training Theory as it relates to jumping. Looking forward to some good discussion!
Some Stats
Static Vertical Jump: ~32 inches
Vertical Jump with CM off 18 inch box: ~35 inches
Running One Foot VJ: ~42 inches
SLJ: 3.35m
Standing Three Jump: 10.15m
Overhead BT (16lb): 14.95m
This is the paper: http://zachdechant.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/apre-mizzou1.pdf
Some interesting things to note about this study:
1. There was no pre-test. For comparison they used the numbers from the end of pre-season of the previous year.
2. Look at the group differences listed in table 1. While no statistical differences have been found, it is apparent that the APRE group on average was 7 kilogram (15 lbs) heavier than the LP group. While maybe not a statistically significant weight difference, it might very well still be a relevant difference.
3. The LP group on baseline was stronger in both bench press tests than the APRE group despite being slightly taller and less heavy on average - those differences were significant, one even being highly significant. It is therefore very plausible that improvements for the LP group were harder to come by than for the APRE group, simply because they might be closer to their maximal genetic potential.
4. In accordance to point 3, the LP group actually performed the same in post-test compared to baseline in the bench-press repetition test, actually the difference was even slightly in the negative. There must have been several athletes whose performance actually declined. Remember how the baseline levels were determined in the first place...
5. The differences in improvement between the groups can easily be attributed to the specific application of linear periodization vs. autoregulatory training. Despite the fact that the authors claim to have been utilizing very similar protocols, this is not apparent from the little information they actually give. One thing I can tell however is that the APRE group regularly went to failure and the LP group did not. Therefore the APRE group had the chance to train close to their actual potential while the LP group did not - because their training numbers were determined based on tests from a year before, which might very well have had little to do with their actual ability.
To summarize this... If you make a program based on the concept of linear periodization and have a very, very poor grasp of what you are doing and how you assign training numbers to your athletes, this is likely going to be inferior to training a group of athletes based on what they are actually capable of doing. Big surprise.
As a scientific paper this study is a complete failure and it has very little application for everyone who understands the slightest bit about training.
However, that does not take away from the fact, that AREG might be effective for certain things. As Lance pointed out this approach can be effective when dealing with reactive or power exercises because they are so much more susceptible to even slighter changes in constitution and because doing them correct and fast is probably more important than doing a certain number of them.
I found that not to be true for performing heavy resistance exercises where bar speed might in fact drop, which however says nothing about if the repetition or set can be completed or not. Strength exercises are for strength, power exercises are for power. That's my idea of it.
Basket tournament?
Quoteinteresting info, i need to get a battery for my heart rate monitor.. it's interesting how tiring MR tuck's are.. i mean, they really kill everyone.. i feel more tired doing 10-15 MAX tuck jumps than if i did a 60-80 yard sprint etc.. so your data seems to fit how I feel also.
hahaha. good point. When I was in high school me and a friend of mine both bought a pair of strength shoes and did plyos in them. I remember the workouts called for a TON of tuck jumps, like 4 sets of 20. The first workout I nearly passed out doing them and he lost his lunch.
haha nice.. you ever puke during training? I sort of puked once, but I had basically eaten a massive lunch then performed some seriously high rep squatting, came up a bit.. other than that, never puked.
Once, during college, I ate a grilled cheese and a bunch of curly fries immediately before practice. Practice then started (after warm ups) with suicides. Up came the grilled cheese and curly fries. Lesson learned.