18076
Strength, Power, Reactivity, & Speed Discussion / Re: Why you might consider learning the hang snatch
« on: November 30, 2010, 12:03:53 am »Nothing specific but most people who played as much basketball and other sports as I did along with extreme training will have some degree of damage at my current age. For years I played on concrete courts and that probably has a lot to do with it. I've never had a single acute injury that kept me out of action - I've had tendonitis and an occassional ankle sprain but no ligament tears, muscle tears or anything like that..just general wear, tear, and age. The training I consider the least of the culprits...the only thing I've done trainingwise that I thought that jacked me up pretty good was some of the DB hammer stuff like REA squats.
I also had some degree of rheumatoid arthritis, which is an immune disease where your immune system attacks the joints. Mine was fairly mild as far as that goes and just caused fatigue, general muscle stiffness, and chronic pain in my hands, fingers, toes, and ankles. It's pretty much gone now but I imagine it did/does spill over and affect the larger joints to some extent even if it didn't cause me pain. I'm not sure much my knee and hip issues are due to that and how much is due to just general wear and tear. I can still sprint without problems but there's just too much ground reaction force in the jumps and I can't bend my knees enough at high speed to get a 100% effort in without jacking myself up.
What say you, adarq?
how intense did he go? what kind of style did he use? inno recommends 30-70% of 1RM from what I remember.. i don't think people should go up much over 50%.. Alot of people on the db forum also do REA squats DEEP.. I think going heavy + DEEP REA is risky, but half squat REA should be fine, at ~30-50%, no more than that.
I remember KB posted in db forum that he attributed alot of knee issues to front squatting, but front squatting was very effective at improving his SVJ, something along those lines:
Quote from: KB?
My front squats have always been painful and never been very good in comparison to back squat because of my longer femurs, but I've done around 275 x 1 at around 160. The combination of front squats and power snatches made a very noticeable and immediate impact on my standing 2 handed jump with a basketball in hand. The effect was immediate and seemed to effect that style of jump more than any other. However, I blame the front squats on instigating the quad tendonitis I eventually developed in both knees. If you have posterior tilt or naturally weak hamstrings I'd stay away from front squats as they effectively take the hamstrings nearly completely out of the movement.









